I love working with people and engaging in collaborative problem-solving. I offer leaders access to a well-rounded professional, a trusted outsider who understands the challenges they face, and can lend a fresh, creative perspective. Openly discussing details about internal operations, staff issues, and leadership challenges and talking through solutions without concern for toe-stepping or power struggles gives leaders the freedom they need to honestly assess and think through plans strategically.
Why work with me?
My Approach to Coaching and Consulting
I am a creative thinker, synthesizer, and catalyst for change.
I filter information through a uniquely balanced creative and analytic lens and approach each engagement using this ABC method that helps guide my process and deliver consistent quality results:
- Articulate: I take the ideas floating around in your head and translate them into words on a page
- Brainstorm: Once we agree the concepts that were once ephemeral or ambiguous have been adequately clarified, we’ll brainstorm how you’ll get where you want to go by defining goals, objectives, and action items
- Create: Now that we’ve put structure around your goal(s), we’ll develop a detailed roadmap that allows for measurable progress and concrete results
I am a strategic thinker who helps entrepreneurs and organizational leaders assess challenges and apply creative solutions. Clients are concerned that critical roadblocks will prevent them from achieving their goals. I deliver concrete solutions and actionable steps that align with their objectives and available resources to increase clarity and strengthen their foundation, inspiring peace of mind and a renewed passion for a brighter, more attainable future.
How do you determine the content or scope of a project?
- We’ll discuss your needs during a free phone consultation.
- If I feel I am a good fit for the project and you’d like to consider my services I will email a proposal for your consideration. The proposal includes details about expectations, fees, timelines, and milestones, as applicable.
- Once you’ve reviewed and accepted the proposal, expect regular communication and updates throughout the project.
- My standards for work performance are high and delivering excellent work is the only option
“Shari is an incredibly talented writer, researcher, interviewer, event planner and creative maven. I was lucky enough to work with Shari on All Classical Portland’s 30th Anniversary Celebration, for which Shari researched and wrote a 30-year history of the radio station, produced print and video collateral, and planned a massive gala. Shari is a true professional and an asset to any organization that hires her. I am grateful to have had the chance to work with her…”
Andrea R., Portland
“[Shari] is one of the most talented persons that I have ever met…“can do” attitude…[ability to] accomplish any assignment given…to do the job right the first time…leadership qualities way beyond what is required…phenomenal to say the least.”
Steve D., Board Chairman, Fort Worth, TX
“…in a relatively short time, she miraculously began to turn the organization around… I doubt any MBA programs prepare their graduates to address the range of problems that Shari was able to resolve…I honestly cannot say enough good things about Ms. Getz…”
John C., Board Member, Lubbock, TX
What services do you offer?
I’ve completed projects as a producer, artist, teacher, administrative leader, project and production manager. I’ve found possessing a broad skill set extremely advantageous. Countless times I’ve been hired for one job or assignment that evolved into a bigger or expanded role. Examples include moving from content creator to project manager, editor to website programmer, marketing support to operations manager, assistant to executive director, coordinator to production manager, volunteer to content creator and event manager. And in most cases, viewing a task through multiple lenses invariably improves the outcome.
Services / Skills
My work in theatre, film, for-profit agencies, and nonprofit organizations has involved managing everything from petty cash to project budgets up to $1 million. [I have a theory based on my experience as a nonprofit Executive Director: Executive Directors have to (should always be able to) account for every penny and how it gets allocated because they are serving as stewards of public money. How, then, is it possible for any government agency to respond to budget inquiries with “we don’t know where that money went?” Seems absurd to me. Bring in a nonprofit ED — they’ll find that money. But I digress.] Some of my experience in budget/resource management include:
- finding support articles or documentation about a particular subject and providing highlights/summaries/recommendations
- developing/managing organizational, event, program, project budgets
- reporting on fund allocation/expenses
- final project reporting
I can create it or translate a concept that’s in your head into sharable content. I’ve worked on, or helped develop:
- marketing copy/collateral
- new product/program descriptions
- operation manuals/handbooks
- scripts and screenplays (live theatre and filmed projects)
- business plans/proposals
- boilerplate grant content
- blog posts
- personal and corporate histories, like this one
With years of study and professional experience in the arts, I’ve written, produced, cast, & directed live theatre and filmed projects, created and produced educational programs, business conferences, retreats, meetings, parties, fundraisers, and galas. While productions range in scope, all event planning relies on skills in the following areas:
- communicating with team/vendors
- meeting facilitation
- coordinating detailed planning calendar and managing progress
- negotiating prices/terms
- cast/crew/volunteer management
- budget management
- film production, like this one–
Leading a project from conception through completion means carefully managing all necessary elements and contributors. I’ve managed projects in the following areas:
- website development/improving online presence
- online advertising/business development
- conference tabling/presentations
- book layout & self-publishing
- product development
As a producer, I have a particular penchant for the process of vetting – this includes identifying the right product for a specific purpose, casting the best actor for a specific part, and interviewing candidates to find the person best suited for a specific job. In each case, there is an art to developing the tools and the process that will ultimately lead to securing the perfect fit.
- product or service analysis
- casting for film or theatre
- personnel recruitment